Whether you’re moving to accommodate your growing family or looking for a smaller space to be your empty nest, selling your home is a big decision. To help you make smart decisions, it’s important to think with your head and not your heart. The Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO) shares their tips for being home smart when you’re looking to make the sale.
- Shop around. Don’t be tempted to hire the first real estate professional you meet. Make sure the fit is right!
- Understand what you’re signing. Before you sign a listing agreement with the brokerage, ensure you know what it means, how long it will be in effect and what the different clauses mean. Ask questions and seek independent legal advice if you’d like a second opinion.
- Show the facts. Include all your home’s details in the listing, from the square footage to recent renovations to items that are and aren’t included (water heater, appliances, drapery, etc.).
- Plan your open house wisely:
- Be proactive. Speak with your real estate professional before the open house to set ground rules and identify ways to protect yourself and your property.
- Minimize risk. Remove all valuables and securely store anything with your personal information, like credit card statements and receipts.
- Know your options. When reviewing offers on your home, the details of the offers will remain confidential between you and your real estate professional. You may get multiple offers, and your real estate professional is there to help you make the best choice.
- Budget accordingly. Remember that there are closing costs associated with selling a home: real estate commissions, legal fees, moving expenses, and more.
- Expect the unexpected. Does your closing date on the sale align with when you’ll be moving into your new home? Have a contingency plan in place in case the dates don’t match up.
A registered real estate professional can help you navigate the many steps and decisions involved in the home selling process.
Source: The Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO) reco.on.ca
Common Selling Mistakes
Learn the top nine selling mistakes, and what steps you can take to avoid them.
Common Selling Mistakes PDF
Selling Your Home
Remember what first attracted you to your house when you bought it? What excited you about its most appealing features? Now that you’re selling your home, you’ll need to look at it as if you were buying it all over again.
Selling Your Home PDF
Surviving the Sale
Getting a good price for your home is important, but minimizing stress and simplifying the selling process can be just as essential.
Surviving the Sale PDF
The Right Selling Price
When you’re selling your home, the price you set is a critical factor in the return you’ll receive. Learn several factors to base the assessment of your home.
The Right Selling Price PDF